A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I have heard that Diprospan injections can help people with

Customer Question

I have heard that Diprospan injections can help people with low immune system who have a severe case of shingles. Any truth in this?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have seen 3 and they have recommended salves and pain meds and sleep aids. Right now I am taking fentyanal 75 mmgs patch plus 100mg of Trasadone at night. On really bad days I might take a couple of Tylenol #4 I have had the shingles for 107 days 24/7 and fined it hard to function day to day
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: None that I know of. One doctor has put me on Lyrica 25mg twice a day
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I don't take any other meds
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

Do you mean that you still have the outbreak of shingles blisters more than 3 months later?

Or do you mean that you have post-herpetic neuralgia - the pain that comes from nerves that were damaged by the virus while the outbreak was occurring?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
nerves and scarring
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
pain can be debilitating and it is 24/7 with varying degrees of intensity

Diprosan is an anti-inflammatory corticosteroid. It reduces swelling and inflammation. It sadly doesn't help the damage done to nerves during a shingles outbreak. Post herpetic neuralgia (which just means nerve pain after a herpes zoster outbreak) can be excruciating and can last up to a year or more.

Have your doctors tried lidocaine or capsaicin skin patches?

Also, the usual dose of Lyrica for post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN) is 50-100 mg three times a day. One usually starts with 50 mg three times a day and increases after a week. Your doctor may intend increasing this.

Treating the pain is really all that can be done.

I hope this will improve for you over time. Often the risk of PNH can be avoided if someone is treated with an antiviral within 48-72 hours of the first shingles outbreak. However, that is too late for you.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards,

Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 13 days ago.

Did you need additional information about this? If not, I would appreciate a rating (hopefully a "5") since that is the only way I am credited with answer questions.