Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My wife was kissed on the ear by one of her girlfriends and

Customer Question

Hi, My wife was kissed on the ear by one of her girlfriends and now has a sensation of getting water in the ear. It happened yesterday night and is persisting today. Fe was reading about the "Kiss of Deaf" and is worried she has sustained permanent injury to her ear. Any insights?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Probably it is just a viral infection of the ear.

No poisoning or kiss of death --not possible just from kissing.

No permanent damage done to her ear.

The symptoms should improve gradually over a week or so.

Sometimes, antibiotic may be required if symptoms worsen.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry doctor, but I didn't say death.......I said " Kiss of Deaf". It is a term coined by a Doctor Reiter who has over 40 years of experience as an ear specialist(MD). In his practice he has seen over 30 instances where the suction from a kiss over the ear that has permanently traumatized the tiny bones of the inner ear. If this is beyond your scope that's fine, but it's not an ear infection...an infection doesn't cause immediate (at the same moment of the kiss) hearing dysfunction. Maybe some oF the kisser's saliva entered the ear canal. But it sounds to me she is experiencing shaving cream ear or swimming pool ear we.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

How long the kiss lasted?

Brief period of kissing will not exert enough suction pressure to damage adult ear bones ( malleus, incus, stapedius) without any pre existing ear drum perforation.

The swimming pool ear is due to the closed middle ear cavity commonly seen with eustachian tube dysfunction connecting the middle ear to the throat.

Viral infection is common cause for that even without typical ear pain or drainage.

In case of ear bone damage, there will be significant loss of hearing or practically no hearing on the affected side ( sudden loss of hearing more accurately).

Yes, a clinical evaluation is recommended, but still permanent damage very unlikely.

Best wishes