Christopher Palmer
Christopher Palmer,
Experience:  Hospitalist Physcian (Internist) at Kent County Hospital
91318447

After taking a shower I noticed that a toe on my right foot

Customer Question

after taking a shower I noticed that a toe on my right foot is severely infected. It has an odor and is dark red from the tip to at least halfway to foot. I am a diabetic and am worried that this is serious. Should I go to ER?
Category: Health
Expert:  Christopher Palmer replied 2 months ago.

I'm Dr Palmer, has this toe been infected before? You just noticed this today>

Is there a wound on the toe that is leaking pus? If you can submit a picture that would be helpful, but if you have a foot infection then you should be evaluated as it is likely you will need IV or at the least, oral antibiotics.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I went to the emergency room. After a long wait i finally was taken back to a room. The Dr. looked at it and ordered an x-ray. After the x-ray he came in and debridement the flap of skin hanging from the front of the toe. He then lanced the top just behind the nail. It was wrapped and I received 2 antibiotics and a script for each one. He had told me that if the infection would have been closer to the foot I would have been spending the night. Luckily it wasn't.

Yes very lucky. I'm glad you went to the ER. Keep an eye on it closely. You need a podiatrist if you do not have one. That is very important.

Keep from applying too much pressure. Also, a podiatrist can help with proper footwear recommendations. You certainly need to control sugars as well, this makes a big difference in healing. Sugars over 180 cause dysfunction of your white blood cells to help kill bacteria and heal the area.

Did they give you something like Keflex and Doxycyclin, or augmentin? Just curious. They need to cover for staph and strep as well as community acquired MRSA.