A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My neutrophillis count is at 32 and lynmphosites are 55. all

Customer Question

Hello My neutrophillis count is at 32 and lynmphosites are 55. all the rest of my work is well within range and I have no symptoms that are out of the ordinary. I had what I thought was a lipoma removed from the right side of my scalp above my ear and biopsied. the preliminary diagnosis is follicular lymphoma. I am a 37 year old male.
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: i am now
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had a tooth remove today that was pretty bad and probably should have come out months ago...twas bad!
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 29 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

Are those percentages? What does your lab consider normal values for those?

Why was the blood test done?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
My neutro is below the limit of the labs limit at 32 and the high is 44 for lynmpo at 55. The test was conducted because of a biopsy that was done on a tumor on my scalp above my ear. A portion of the cyst was removed.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
those were percentages
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 28 days ago.

Sorry I missed your reply last night. I waited for about an hour and then went to bed about 10:30.

As you probably know, lymphocytes and neutrophils are two of the 5 types of white blood cells. Since the sum of percentages of all types must add up to 100%, when one is low, others are going to be high. For that reason, percentages alone don't tell much at all. You have to examine them in conjunction with the absolute number. For example, you not that in your lab the reference range for lymphocyte percentage is 44% on the high side. All by itself, that doesn't mean much. Absolute numbers over 10,000 lymphocytes/mm³ is considered high and might have more meaning.

High lymphocytes generally mean the person has (or has recently had) an infection (even a cold or flu as well as any kind of bacterial infection), but it can also mean certain types of autoimmune disorders and also certain types of cancer (such as leukemia).

Low neutrophil percentages can also be caused by a huge number of things including leukemia, alcohol use, vitamin deficiencies, and even medications that destroy neutrophils - such as antibiotics.

All by themselves, these two percentages don't shed any additional light on the subject.

Please let me know if I can help with any additional information,

Kind regards,