Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I have had a long bout with bronchitis since February and

Customer Question

I have had a long bout with bronchitis since February and every time I'm off the steroids for 7-10 days, it reoccurs. Now the steroids have induced diabetes. I'm tired of this vicious cycle. Please help.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes and a pulmonary specialist. I've been in the ER and had X-rays, etc....Nothing is working long term or healing seems as though it is masking a more serious problem, but I have not been able to get any answers.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm not a smoker or drinker. I was working out at least 3 days a week when this all began, now I can barely walking across the street. No there's nothing else that I can think of that would be causing this. I've had allergy test done. The air quality at my job has been tested and the results were normal. The vents and filters in my house have been changed. I'm just not sure what's going on.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 28 days ago.

Hello !

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this trouble..

Possible causes could include chronic bronchitis ( allergy induced inflammation of the airways )

It could be some other process such as a lower respiratory fungal infection ...

It could be a presentation of asthma ...

If not already done then your pulmonary specialist may order a chest CT for better detail of the lungs ...

Spirometry testing may be of help to diagnosis

Your pulmonologist might consider bronchoscopy to best diagnose the source

If allergy induced I agree that you need to get away from the oral steroids and the side effects of these

Singulair 10mg a day helps reduce airway inflammation and is not a steroid ...

An inhaled steroid may help such as Flovent and has less systemic side effects ..

Testing for atypical infections should be included ( fungal respiratory for example )

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD