Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

My TSH levels in January were 9.8 and now they are 6.3 and I

Customer Question

My TSH levels in January were 9.8 and now they are 6.3 and I am being told I have an underactiive Thyroid and they want to put me on medicine for six weeks and recheck. Do you agree?
JA: When was the last time you had your levels checked? Have you noticed any weight loss or weight gain?
Customer: January 9.8 last week 6.3 TSH levels. Only a little weight gain, 2-3 lbs, but I am only 119lbs 5'6" I workout a lot.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Sister Thyroid cancer. Mother Underactive thyroid as well. With me nothing accept Jan was diagnosed with Osteoperosis hairline fracture in spine. Been on Fosamax for 5 months. Two months ago on and off been experiencing lips swelling and very itchy/burning. Calms a little with Benedryl.
Category: Health
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 2 months ago.

hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

Typically, I do not start my patients on thyroid medication unless their TSH is great than 10.

If I were you, I would simply have it rechecked in 6 weeks to see how it changes.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating (bonus appreciated) as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!