Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I have cirrhosis of the liver. I had hepatitis c but I took

Customer Question

I have cirrhosis of the liver. I had hepatitis c but I took the meds to clear it. I started drinking in 2012 as I have 2 bulging disc in my back and my hips are junk. I took pain pills for 15 years. When I stopped I was taking 240mg of morphine a day. That was 8/2011. Of course the pain was still there which is why I started drinking. I am not sure how bad I have made things by drinking. I am getting conflicting information from my Pcp and liver doc. Have I done irreparable damage at this point?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.

How is your ultrasound report?

How is blood work?

When did you last consult doctor?

What is the opinion of your liver doctor?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ultrasound showed fatty liver disease. Blood work shows elevated billurubin and enzymes. I am getting conflicting information from my primary doctor and my liver doctor. Liver doc acts like no big deal. PcP acts like I'm going to die tomorrow. My stomach swells a lot. I am also diabetic but I control with diet. I have high blood pressure but it is under control. I am confused as to how serious this is.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for all the information,
From your history, it is showing fatty liver.
It does not have cirrhotic changes.
However, you need to be careful about further damaging the liver.
In cirrhosis it is irreparable.
Still then, careful monitoring of drug, avoiding alcohol will help in preventing worsening
You should not take any medicine without permission of your doctor.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
Please rate my answer excellent if you are satisfied with it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The last CT scan I had confirmed "mild " cirrhosis. I've had issues with severe pain on my right side, vomiting and dirreah. This started in January. I've stopped drinking a few times... no DT's. My Pcp prescribed Xanax the last time I saw her. I double pinky sweared that I would not mix the 2. I have not broken that promise. I am of the belief of quality of life vs quantity of life. I guess my question is how much longer do I have if I continue to be a drunk.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 month ago.

There is no such fixed time limit.
As it is in the mild stage, you should try to prevent its progression to severe stage.