Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

My calves and thighs have been locking up on me every now

Customer Question

Hello! My calves and thighs have been locking up on me every now and then when I practice. I am a very active person (division 1 athlete), and have a routine i go through every day to warm up. My legs don't tighten up every time i practice, but it does happen often. It is almost like a gamble... I begin practicing and just hope they don't tighten up.. sometimes they do, sometimes they dont Just wanted to do a little research on my own as to why this could be happening.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling. It really only gets better when i stop running. Over time I have gotten used to playing through the pain so i usually just do the whole practice, but it does really affect my level of playing.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not really. I am generally pretty healthy, always have been. Great, thanks!
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 29 days ago.

Welcome to the site. I'm Dr Brims and will be happy to help

How old are you?

Do you take any medication?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
20, no medications!
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 29 days ago.

I see, these sound like cramps, and are likely due to insufficient hydration prior to exercise

It may also be a case of fitness

You need to make sure you practice adequately before exercise and drink plenty of fluids

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Will do! Thanks for the help
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 29 days ago.

You're welcome. If you still have questions on this topic feel free to ask.

If you have no other questions you may click a rating button to end the session