A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My wife took my dogs apoquel 16mg one pill and one 3.6

Customer Question

My wife took my dogs apoquel 16mg one pill and one 3.6 milligram apoquel will this hurt her and what are the contraindications for her regular meds
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: She takes amlodipine/valsartan 5/160, claritin, vitamin D. venlafaxine ER 75mgl and uses Symbicourt and Flonase one an inhaler and one is a nasal spray
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Polycystic kidney disease
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 30 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

Similar products to oclacitinib (Apoquel) is given to humans (ruxolitinib and tofacitinib) with more in the pipeline.

Recommended dosage of oclacitinib for a 130 pound dog is 55 mg. Assuming your wife is about that weight, a dose of 16 mg isn't much. The only possible drug interaction I found between this drug and her usual drugs is between drugs like oclacitinib and venlafaxine which has the potential to cause an increased risk of bleeding for someone with kidney disease. Of course, oclacitinib has not been tested with other drugs in humans since it is only labeled for dogs who typically don't take venlafaxine. Still, at the dose she took and as a one-time occurrance, it is unlikely to cause any problems at all. Any side effect might be nausea within a few hours of taking it. She should make sure she stays well hydrated.

Best regards,

Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 26 days ago.

Did you have additional questions about this? If not, I would appreciate your taking the time to rate it (hopefully a "5") since that is the only way we are compensated for our work.