A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My question is, I applied for a job in Healthcare as a home

Customer Question

hi. My question is, I applied for a job in Healthcare as a home health aide. I was in the hospital for a bit and I'm wondering if a nurse from a home care agency can access your medical records without signed consent? Also I had to fill out a self evaluation and list my meds, who my doctor is and my last job and I had to sign the bottom of that. is that considered my release of authorozarion for medical records?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

No one can access your medical records without a specific signed consent from you authorizing it. If the paper you signed said that it authorized release, then it does. You should have a copy that you can consult and make sure that you didn't sign such an authorization. Meanwhile, to protect yourself, you can deliver a letter to your doctor's office specifically rescinding any such release to this employer.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, my question is that I recently applied to a job as a home health aide and I was in the hospital for a couple weeks and I'm wondering if the nurse within the healthcare agency is able to view my medical records at the hospital? I did have to fill out a little information about me such as my doctor, my last job and what medications I'm on and if I have allergies, etc. I had to sign the bottom. Does that signature give her authorization to the hospital about my medical records? I don't want my job to be hindered because she knows I was in the mental health unit

No, they cannot review your hospital records unless you sign an authorization giving the hospital the permission to release your records to her/the agency. Hospital records are only viewable by the health care providers who are taking care of you. Even another nurse at the hospital cannot review your records.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Did you need further clarification about this/ If not, I would welcome a positive rating (hopefully a "5") since that's the only way I get credited with answering questions.

Thanks!

Schuyler

~

Was there anything else you needed to know about this before giving a rating? A rating costs you nothing, but it is the only way I receive credit (or compensation) for my work.

Thanks!