Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have swelling in my ankles and a pain witch sometimes goes

Customer Question

Hi I have swelling in my ankles and a pain witch sometimes goes up my legs
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?
Customer: yes swelling in the leg, especially in the ankles. symptoms are all the time
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: well I have autoimmune hep but I went to doctor today and all is fine. i might have a bladder problem but i don't see what that would have to do with my ankles
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

If these symptoms (swelling in ankles and pain which goes up legs) were sudden to appear and have come up recently, a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot) should be ruled out a colored doppler study and D-dimer test.

Having said that, autoimmune hepatitis can cause these symptoms. This is because of protein deficiency caused by liver issue.

Swelling of feet and ankle on both the sides can be associated because of the following reasons also;

1) Venous valvular incompetence

2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow

3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.

4) Congestive heart failure

5) Kidney diseases

6) Protein deficiency

7) Hypothyroidism

8) Anemia

9) Medications

Following measures are beneficial in decreasing or resolving the swelling:

1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.

2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.

3) Exercises / physical therapy

a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).

b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.

4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.

Pain can be helped by;

1) Analgesics

2) Acupuncture

3) A very mild massage; keeping the massage direction towards heart.

4) Electrical stimulation; this is a small device which physical therapy centers would give your for the home use.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

My goal is to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then an "Excellent Service" rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please click "Reply" to let me know how I can better assist you with any additional information or clarification.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to be of help!