Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Are there any bad stds other than syphillis that would not

Customer Question

Are there any bad stds other than syphillis that would not show up for 40 years?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes. The std tests come back negative. I am not taking any medications. I thought I was exposed to a bad std 40 years ago. I had a rash all over and did not feel well. I went to my general doctor and was given a blood test that came back ok. I also had a sore at some point that made it uncomfortable to sit. I was not treated, but the person I saw was taking penicillin and a friend who saw him was given a penicillin shot. He talked about some awful std, but I didn't know what to believe. My friend told me he was dangerous and tried to persuade me to stay away from him. Several times over the years I have felt things moving through my body and to my head and I took time off work. Then it would go away.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Anyway, last spring I started feeling odd in the digestive area and after a month more to my head. Ringing in my ears is constant.
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: Mostly blood test syphilis antibody was negative. hepatitis A,B,C were negative. Herpes showed carrier, but I have not had symptoms. Also had stool samples checked since they looked different than usual. No ova or parasite, no shinga toxin, etc. Gram stain result was many normal bacterial mixture.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Just that this has been at the back of my mind over the years, but as long as I was feeling OK I tried not to worry about it. When I had an annual physical last August, my cholesterol was high and i needed to lose some weight, otherwise I was doing well.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.

Which STD tests did you have so far?

Was any of them positive?