A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I'm just wondering if cefdinir should be prescribed for a

Customer Question

I'm just wondering if cefdinir should be prescribed for a UTI
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, I went to the ER 2 weeks ago and had a UTI and that's what they prescribed, then I began experiencing severe abdominal cramping and diarrhea about a week ago.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had mucus and blood in my stool this morning so I went to the ER again and the same doctor said it was the antibiotics that caused it. No other medical conditions.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I've been very tired and no energy Okay
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello?

Cefdinir is one of a number of antibiotics that can be prescribed for a urinary tract infection. Any of them have the possibility of causing secondary infections, including bowel infections with bloody diarrhea, or vaginal yeast infections. That is because they are broad spectrum antibiotics and can kill off "good" gut bacteria along with the bacteria they are being prescribed for.

Please let me know what else you would like to know about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the doctor today told me I have colitis and prescribed me 2 antibiotics and one of those called Cipro causes the same symptoms. I haven't picked it up because I'm worried about being in that pain again. He also told me there's nothing I can really do about the pain but wait it out, he did prescribe me Norco. My main question is, should I just wait and see my general practitioner and see if it's a good idea to take the Cipro?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh he also prescribed Flagyl, is it really necessary to take 2 antibiotics?

No, you should not wait. You should take the Cipro and you should take it along with the Flagyl. The two are given together for colitis. Norco is a powerful pain reliever that should take care of the pain nicely. It also has a side effect of helping to relieve diarrhea.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay but I already have a prescription for Norco for my back and it did absolutely nothing for the abdominal pain.

The Norco should help in combination with the new antibiotics. I know you're miserable and frustrated. Colitis isn't any fun at all.

Schuyler

~