Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I just had a CBC done and my RDW was 17.2. Everything was

Customer Question

I just had a CBC done and my RDW was 17.2. Everything was within normal range. What is this an indicator of?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have a follow up in 2 wks. I just take Zyrtec for allergies and several vitamin supplements.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: In my previous CBC my hematocrit was a bit low but, it is normal now.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 month ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Was there any specific reasons for dong CBC?

It seems that you are offline, so I am writing you an answer. Once you read it, you may ask follow up questions.

The usual RDW range is 11.6-14.6% in adult. Reference ranges may vary depending on the individual laboratory. Yours is slightly raised.

An high RDW helps provide a clue for a diagnosis of early nutritional deficiency such as iron, folate, or vitamin B12 deficency as it becomes elevated earlier than other red blood cell parameters.

Having said that, this would need a clinical correlation with your symptoms, physical exam findings and other investigations. Since your rest of CBC was normal; there is a chance that this RDW elevation is of no clinical significance.

Your doctor may decide to repeat the CBC in 4-6 weeks. Your doctor may also consider getting iron and B 12 levels, depending on the symptoms and signs and clinical suspicion.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

My goal is to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then an "Excellent Service" rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please click "Reply" to let me know how I can better assist you with any additional information or clarification.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to be of help!

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.