Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

My daughter has been sick for a week with dirreah and severe

Customer Question

My daughter has been sick for a week with dirreah and severe pain she went to insta care they said it is a virus but she isn't getting better she has a ulcer so they gave her some medicine she could take but it's almost gone just worried it's not just the stomach flu what should she do
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 5 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern regarding your daughter:

Does she still have diarrhea & pain/spasm in abdomen?

What are her present symptoms?

Have she ever had an upper endoscopy tests done?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she still has the diarrhea no I don't think she has had those tests done she has bad pain and has hardly eaten all week
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No more to add
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 5 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Do you mean that she has still having diarrhea & the pain in abdomen?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 5 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the replies.

Okay,as she is still having the diarrhea & pain in abdomen,you are right that this is not just the stomach flu. The stomach flu caused by viral infection generally clears within 3-5 days & she is still having the symptoms after 7 days.

Her symptoms are most likely caused by bacteria,parasites or or other organisms. .Its most common causes are:Food poisoning, improper diet, and intestinal parasites or bacterial infections,Campylobacter,Salmonella,shigell, E-coli food poisoning,entamoeba histolytica.

You need following tests:

-Stool examination

-Stool culture & sensitivity test

She needs to be prescribed with antibiotics accordingly to eradicate the infection.Her symptoms are not related to stomach ulcer.

Following will help her greatly:

-Tab.Acetaminophen for relief from abdominal pain & cramps
- Take tab. Loperamide to stop the diarrhea & loose stools.

Both these medications are available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help her greatly.

So my best advise for you is to please make an early appointment with her doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying causative organism & then treatment like antibiotics will be done accordingly.She should drink plenty of water & fluids to avoid dehydration.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 5 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going.Have you taken the above described medications? How is your diarrhea & pain now?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh