Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.

I am a retired RN, but now need more help. My recent labs

Customer Question

I am a retired RN, but now need more help. My recent labs show a significant abnormality of all of my WBC counts. Labs in March of 2016 were all WNL. I had routine annual labs & a repeat when WBC's were abnormal. Neutrophils have dropped to 22 & Absolute Neutrophils to 0.4. WBC 1.6, RBC 2.93, Hgb, 10.6, Hct 29.7. I have been referred to a Hematologist/Oncologist here in Sedona with appt. 9/21. My NP feels the week delay is O.K. She suggested rest, avoid infection, healthy eating, & f/u. I saw my Ortho Surgeon yesterday for pending knee replacement, which is on hold until WBC is WNL. Could you shed more light on what might have caused this drop & action I might take while I wait f/u?
Thank you. Alice
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry about your recent drop of WBC count and HGB

you could be having fatigue or some failure of your bone marrow making white and red blood cells

sometimes this happens as we all get older

sometimes myelodysplastic disorder of the bone marrow can do this

most likely the hematologist oncologist will order a bone marrow biopsy to check your bone marrow for cells

you need blood test to check your ferritin and iron and TIBC and % saturation and B12 and folate levels as well since your hemoglobin levels are low. you need stool occult blood tests as well to see if you may be loosing blood in your stools.

appointment sept 21 is ok

wash your hands frequently and continue to eat healthy

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

you are welcome

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This should have been a free response. I pd. $30. Guess it's worth it!!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

thanks for that

but do you see the ratings area where you can leave positive feedback?

thanks for using