A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Just checking on metoprolol. I just arrived in Telluride

Customer Question

Just checking on metoprolol. I just arrived in Telluride (8800 ft). I have a little light headedness and mild headache. I came from sea level today. I'm on a very light dose which I break in half (15 mg, I believe). It sounds like no big deal. I usually take it at night.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take Mobic, a full aspirin and metoprolol. Sometimes xanax to help with sleep.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a stent in my basilar artery (2010). Otherwise, healthy. Low blood pressure and heart rate (partially from metolprolo) but I'm in good shape. 60 years old, 185 lbs.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

Can you take your blood pressure now?

I see you haven't viewed my request for more information yet.

What you are experiencing is altitude sickness. It happens when one ascends to high altitude too quickly. When you feel dizzy, sit down and put your head between your knees for a few minutes. Be sure to drink lots of extra water. It's not unusual to need 4 quarts per day. Also add some extra calories to your diet in the form of carbohydrates. Now is the time to have that extra muffin or serving of potatoes. Try to avoid all alcohol for the next couple of days and get some extra sleep. An acetaminphen (Tylenol) can help with the headache.

Low blood pressure isn't usually a symptom, so if your blood pressure is about where it normally is this time of night, then go ahead with your regular dose of metoprolol.

If you begin to feel really bad, you should go to the emergency room. Most people adjust to the lower oxygen content on the air at high altitudes in just a day or two, but when you are feeling really sick, you need to get help right away.

Please let me know if you need additional information about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~