A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I accidently got poked in the left eye with my figure. I

Customer Question

hello, I accidently got poked in the left eye with my figure. I kind of just rub a little as I was trying to finish up a school project while being tired during midnite. When, I finally finished, I then looked in the mirror and noticed my eye looks all dark red seems to be covered with maybe blood, but its not hurting, expect teary. So I then went to sleep for over four hours without applying any eye drop of some sort. Now it still looks the same from last night, but I don't feel pain, or experience much change with my vision. I guess. am just worry of being seeing by the emergency doctor and they will prescribe something that may make it worse. My friend had a similar case; but when seeing by doctors; she ended up with more trouble than what she antici[ated!
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: It was over two years ago; and my vision has been ok, but am wearing reading glasses of 1.75; sometimes 2.0
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm in a bother line of diabetes which am well monitored it as I'm also taking care of a 95 year old Alzheimer client with diabetes and high blood pressure. So, while taking his vital signs; and provide necessary diet based on his medical condition, I also check vital signs and eat accordingly.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

HI,

This sounds like a subconjunctival hemorrhage, which is a fancy way of saying broken blood vessels in the white part of the eye. It isn't dangerous, just unsightly. You can use plain saline eyedrops if the eye feels dry or irritated. Cool compresses can also help. DON'T use drops that are touted to "get the red out." The blood will disappear in a week or so. If you have discharge or blurry vision, that would be the time to see your doctor.

Sometimes this can happen from no more than a hearty sneeze.

Please let me know if you need additional information about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You can use plain saline eyedrops if the eye feels dry or irritated. Cool compresses can also help. Is this saline eyedrops an Over the counter; and what name it would label under. Sorry, its just that every drug store has so many kinds of eye related liquid; am really fearful to mess up my vision with wrong stuff. Also how would I go about the cool compresses treatment. Yeah, its my very time to see my eye with this dark red.

Yes, you buy saline eye drops over the counter. You can ask any pharmacist. The brand name doesn't matter since generics are just as good as brand names. "Refresh" is one brand name though. Just stress to the pharmacist that you want lubricant eye drops, not something containing tetrahydrolazine.

You can print this out and take it to the pharmacist if you like.

To use a cool compress, wring a washcloth out of cold water and apply it over your closed eyes. Repeat as often as you like.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much.. It sounds very helpful and am feeling a lot less worry of going to the emergency room, like my friend last year who had a similar case. Her vision got worse than she anticipated from different medication prescribed by an emergency eye doctor; then a specialist; let alone got her more money than she can afford.

That sounds like a real nightmare for your friend.

You should do just fine. What it needs is "tincture of time" which just means it will get better if you just wait it out. Sometimes the best intervention is no intervention.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. I’m always happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me (hopefully a “5”) when you are done.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~