Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I have chronic constipation due to IBS C. My evacuation

Customer Question

I have chronic constipation due to IBS C. My evacuation cycle has changed over the last year, I wake up early in the morning with my colon full of dry, hard forces. I don't know why things seem to be moving while I sleep,and waking me up early in tha a.m. to deal with it, or sometimes in the middle of the night. Used to be after coffee in the morning, now happens while I am sleeping. There is not cramping or pain. I just wake up because it is...there and I feel it, and need to get up and do something about it. Why are things now moving in my sleep?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: There is rarely pain. Sometimes when things are moving it can be painful after I have had a severe bout of constipation then things start moving. Not unusual considering it is usually large, hard feces which have developed from constipation. But what is happening more often, and what I'm wondering about, is why the fecal material is moving down in my sleep then waking me up when it is piled up at the end of my colon.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Occasionally I have mucus. Maybe once or twice a year I have bleeding when hemerroids (sp?) are scraped. Once I had a terrible intestinal violent with violent watery stools for hours and bled quite a bit (about 2 years ago). I took a picture when I went to the doctor's and he looked at the pic of the blood he didn't think it was a big deal. There is a certain spot in the left side of my colon where I can sometimes feel when things and gas pass through for the past couple of years. Not painful, can just feel something when it moves through that one area. Especially since I last weight a few years ago. (My weight loss was intentional and has been stable for 3 years). I have had IBS-C for 30 years. Sometimes it goes away, as long as six to eight months. The constipation eases when I eat greater quantities of food.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.
Do you take any medicine?

Is there any change in food recently?

How many times do you have to pass stool?

Do you have any other symptom?

Did you consult doctor recently?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It has been a while since Inhave spoken to a doctor about my IBS. INHAVE HAD IBS-C for more than thirty years and my symptoms have pretty much been the same, sometimes better, sometimes worse, sometimes gone altogether for a while. The only change is that I am waking up @ six a.m. needing to pass a bowel movement, which is usually dry and hard because of my chronic constipation. I suppose Inshoukd be happy that I am able to pass the stool but it is an unusual time. I do not feel pain waking me up, just that things have moved down and I need to go to the bathroom. And there is also that I can occasionally feel things pass through one area on about mid way down my descending colon for about the last two years. Not always, just sometimes. What food Ineat does not have an effect but if I eat in greater amounts I suffer less constipation. I sm also under a great deal of stress right now.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just find it odd that I can sometimes feel things passing through, and that feces is piling up in my lower colon while Insleep and is causing me to wake up to empty it out.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I take Wellbutrin. Sometimes clonazipam.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did you need to know anything else?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the information,
IBS symptoms can vary.
There can be period of normal bowel movement.
There can be alternating symptoms with constipation & diarrhea.

It is possible that your increased stress is playing a factor.

It is also possible that there is a mild inflammation.

It can cause the feeling of stool passing through some parts of colon.

I would suggest to inform your doctor about the change.

He can take a stool or other test, if he feels necessary.

I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.
Regards.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you think the timing of when I am having to go(being awakened early in the morning having to move my bowels) and that it is collecting during the night unusual?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 3 months ago.

It is possible that gut contents are moving more rapidly.
Sometimes, stress can play a role.