A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I have just been diagnosed with C diff. I have had symptoms

Customer Question

I have just been diagnosed with C diff. I have had symptoms for about 8 weeks and finally had a colonoscopy yesterday. I have started on Metronidazole today but can't reach my Dr. to get questions answered. I am concerned for others where I have used their restrooms in the past several weeks. Are they at risk? Do I need to warn them? I am to go on vacation with friends in two days and staying in the same house together. Is it safe now that I am on the antibiotic?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

Now that you're on antibiotic, you aren't infectious any more. C. diff is transmitted by feces. I doubt that your friends have come in contact with your feces over the past few weeks. Usually it has to be quite intimate contact, or someone having really poor hygiene. You don't pose any danger whatsoever to the friends you will be staying with over your holiday. Have a great vacation!

Best regards,