Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Self employed 40 years experience Ob-Gyn
88055251

I have a UTI. I'm a 36 year old woman with a difficult case

Customer Question

I have a UTI. I'm a 36 year old woman with a difficult case of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Take no meds, treat hashi's with gluten free diet. I went to work feeling pretty ok, and fell asleep there for three hours! Felt like I was in a deeeeep sleep, could not force myself to wake up. Woke up angry and confused. Took two doses of Bactrim. Exhausted. Can I wait for dr tomorrow or go to ER, or just sleep, Bactrim, water and cranberry juice?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 3 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos MD. Thanks for using Justanswer. I'll be with you in a few minutes.
Okay. I'm concerned that your Hashimoto's has led to being hypothyroid and your symptoms of sleepiness and fatigue plus a UTI are pointing to it. What's the difficulty with your condition. Lab work is pretty straight forward and you may need to be on thyroid hormone replacement. You can have weight gain, elevated serum cholesterol, changes in your hair texture.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The autoimmune disease is attacking my body, one of the measureable affected areas being my thyroid, which was at okay levels after I made major life changes like the AIP diet, walking, sunlight, and a flexible schedule job, and working in maintaining positive gut flora, with the help of a functional medical doctor. Replacing thyroid hormoneis a bandaid on a gUnshot wound because the autoimmune disease just keeps attacking unless lifestyle changes. My biggest complication was deathly major chronic depression for two years before hashi's diagnosis (no one in mental health field ever mentioned there might be a connection and I suffered needlessly). Now, when I feel symptoms, I immediately go one an anti inflammation diet...no sugar dairy no gluten few grains, get iron with vitamin c, turmeric and tart cherry juice for inflammation.I did lose hair, have arthritis like symptoms, sleep all day, break out in horrible skin sores, and want to kill myself before changes were made.I had a UTI last month, didn't take prescribed antibiotics because I didn't want to destroy the gut health I worked so hard for. Drank a ton of water and ate well, and it went away.This month, sleep almost like a coma, which is not really manageable.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That should say, today, I noticed burning sensation and then fell asleep at work, and angry and disoriented. So, probably any regular doc would say pills, water, cranberry juice...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did have high cholesterol, hair changes, weight gain...yes.
Hashimoto's is the main cause of hypothyroidism. Untreated, it has numerous symptoms and an entity called myxedema coma. Depression is very prevalent with low thyroid and I've seen patients who didn't care how they were feeling as that's another way hypothyroid presents. I'm not sure who has evaluated your condition but it responds well to thyroid replacement. It sounds like you might be bad enough to be treated carefully to avoid reacting to the changes in your signs and symptoms. Your pulse is probably low unless you are developing heart failure from the problem then your pulse is faster but very weak. I'm concerned about your problem where your immune system thinks your thyroid is an intruder. It's not associated with things like lupus but the thyroid keeps us in equilibrium.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, so where should I go? A specialist? A gp? An emergi care? The good functional med dr is cash only and I can't pay him.
The urinary bladder loses tone and you don't empty well and can get uti's.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
like the emptying doesn't empty all the way.
A walk-in clinic should be able to help as long as the staff is competent. The lab work isn't expensive and getting on the thyroid medication is pretty cheap.
The residual urine sort of festers in the bladder.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you think my sudden sleep was a myx. Coma?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
A thyroid test, t2 and t3?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When you feel this sick it is so overwhelming to try to get help.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Looking up myxedema coma, they use scary words but it sounds like what happened.
That's part of it and you might consider an ER visit. The blood test is a Thyroid Profile that measures how low your level has reached. It's not myxedema coma because you woke up. With coma, you don't wake up unless you get thyroid hormone into you. T4 and T3
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, will go to emergicare
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. Excellent care.
How we doing now? What's happened with Hashimoto's thyroid problem?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I went to an emergi center. By the time I left I was sobbing. The doctor said he could not treat me for Hashimotos, that he had no proof I had Hashimotos, that I needed to go to a GP, or a urologist, or an endocrinologist, or anyone other than him, and if I had an alternative doctor who I couldn't pay for, I should just figure out a way to pay. I started to cry and he said,"I can't treat you and you look like I just took away your lollipop!" I was crying from the effort of restraining myself from strangling him. After waiting for hours, I left with an antibiotic prescription.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He said,"you are not going to die tonight, therefore I have done my job. Get a go."
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
GP
Did he examine you, have your pulse and blood pressure checked? Did he test your reflexes with the rubber hammer device? If he didn't then he's a bad doctor. All you need is the thyroid blood test that will show if you're hypothyroid and how severe. Some doctor should be able to realize what you may have going on. If the lab work shows the problem then you can sue the emergicenter.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No pulse, yes blood pressure, no reflexes, I insisted on the thyroid panel, he said he'd order it but he wouldn't call me with the results,"I guess maybe someone from the office will, I don't know, they don't work for me...".
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess I'll try to find a compassionate GP. I am resting now, I feel like I've been in a fight but otherwise ok. Thank you for inquiring. It is frightening the kind of lack of medical care that is out there.
If they took blood for the thyroid profile that's what matters. Reflexes are very slow when they tap on the tendons of the biceps arm muscle or the kneecap tendon and always indicate low thyroid.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks.
Keep the faith