Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I constantly keep getting a sensation in my throat sometimes

Customer Question

I constantly keep getting a sensation in my throat sometimes when I am talking or sitting. It feels like I suddenly can not talk or like my throat of physically gone. It feels like my swallowing capabilities disappear for a few moments and I can not figure out why. It happens suddenly
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: ok
JA: How severe is this?
Customer: It seems to be happening like once every 3-4 days for the last month It freaks me out badly but then tends to normalize soon after about 10 seconds.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had sinus surgery in January I had a cerebral Hemorrhage back in 2007 but never had any issues with it after. I am a semi anxious person but only when something like this happens
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 months ago.

Hello!

When these episodes occur can you breath at these times or is it that you can't move air either ??

It might be that you have episodes of laryngospsm...

If you aspirate a small amount of liquid it may cause your vocal cords to lock shut ...you may not be able to swallow or move air either if this is what is occurring ..

It would typically release after a brief period as you describe ...

I hope this is helpful for you

Let me know If you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am able to breathe but I get a sensation that I am not, and once the episode is over i get what feels like a pins and needles sensation into my face and chest for a few seconds then it goes away. It started out of nowhere the last 30 days, and its starting to become more frequent. It freaks me out so much that It is making me not hungry and panicked and i have lost 12lbs in the last 26 days because of this.

Hello again!

I don't like that you have lost 12 pounds so quickly

I think that this would be reason to have your symptoms checked into more throughly ..

I would recommend That you see An ENT specialist and have a barium swallow study to more carefully check your swallowing coordination and check throat structures

I hope this is helpful for you

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have been going to an ENT for my sinuses because my ears are always full of pressure and i have dysfunctional Eustachian tubes...I explained the sensation to him and he didn't inspect y throat but he said he believes it to be anxiety that is causing it or a reaction to anxiety called Globus.. But this can happen when i am laughing, just sitting, or working..anytime. Times when I don't feel stressed. He didn't even try to look at my throat.

Hello again,

I see ...condsidering what you have told me I would suggest a second opinion per ENT ...I'm concerned as to the weight loss for one ..

I think a probable obstacle is that your throat sensation description is atypical ...not crystal clear at all just based on your description...

You warrant a good thorough evaluation I think however ...

I can't see blaming anxiety although that can account for many range of symptoms ..that is true...

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD