Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.

My husband was diagnosed with iron overload and they

Customer Question

My husband was diagnosed with iron overload and they prescribed jadenu he was on it for 40 days but started experiencing edema - they took him off the med as of Friday and increased his dose of lasix to 2 20mg a day and 1 spironaldactone . He is still swollen but has not gained anymore but not lost weight. I took him to the dr and his heart and lungs were good - should I take him to the hospital. He is 81
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry about your husband.

jadenu can cause injury to the kidneys which can cause edema

giving lasix can cause more strain on his kidneys which is not a good idea

he should go to the ER and get blood work to check on his kidneys and blood creatinine levels

I would not use any more lasix or spironaldactone until he gets blood work to check on his kidneys.

he can use regular blood draws in the future to help lower his blood iron levels

let me know if you have other questions.