Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I've had bowel problems for four years now. I had staph in

Customer Question

I've had bowel problems for four years now. I had staph in my femur from a gunshot wound. I had a pic line that I had to have three rounds a day of vancomycin and ardepenum (not sure the spelling) for 30 days. I ended up with C. DIF and a plethora of other problems. I've been tested for parasites, had a colonoscopy, a CT of my abdomen. I had my gallbladder taken out six years ago but I still get pancreatitis at least once a year. They've found scarring on my pancreas. Elevated liver counts. They told me at one hospital visit that my liver was having "fits" and they didn't know why. I have severe liver pain all the time. Worsened by the diarrhea. I have it at least 3 times a week and most of the time it's every day. I've tried probiotics. All kinds of different diet changes. Medications galore. There has been no answer given to me at all as to why I have this pain and constant diarrhea. Well the last two days I've had very bright yellow frothy liquid diarrhea. It's so painful I can barely stand. I'm so afraid to go to the doctor for fear of getting another "I don't know what's wrong with you". I can't take it anymore. Any insight would help. Thanks so much.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you are having such bad issues with your liver and bowels

you should be checked for autoimmune hepatitis where your body makes antibodies against your own livere

there are blood tests for ANA, ESR, which can help and you may benefit from a biopsy of your liver to help with diagnosis.

you should still get another stool test for c diff, you could still have it.

you should get a colonoscopy, and checked for colitis and celiac spruce disorder

if you still have c diff infection in your bowels, you may need more treatment. there are second and third line treatments for refractory c diff infections.

you may need to travel to a larger academic medical center to see GI doctors there who can run more sophisticated testing for you.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've had a colonoscopy and checked for celiac disease and colitis. All tests came back negative. I've had the c diff test three times and I'm clear of it. The one that did all these tests was a specialist for GI problems. Nobody has done anything with my liver yet. It's tiring going through all this and very discouraging never having any answers but always the same symptoms. I just want to sleep. I don't eat very much. If I do it just comes right back out. Everything g I have read on all the research I've done points to the liver and/or pancreas. Obviously not my gallbladder as its gone. You don't have any clue what this could possibly be??? That is what I'm looking for here.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

you should be checked for autoimmune hepatitis

you should get a HIDA scan to check for spinchter of oddi dysfunction.

you may benefit from taking pancreatic enzymes if your pancreas is not producing enough enzymes to help with digestion, the scaring of the pancreas could be causing your pancreas not to produce enough enzymes to help with digestion.

you should get a fat content measurement of your stool to see if fat is not being properly absorbed in your bowels.

this can be due to not enough bile and pancreatic enzymes in your small bowel.