A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My tongue is half red and half. it has been a month and i

Customer Question

my tongue is half red and half white. it has been a month and i have tried peroxide and salt and sour. why is it like that?
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: just a month and just just will not go away why. it is hot or sour make it really hurt some of my food i can not eat
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no not that i know of
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to the site and thanks for your question. My name is***** and I will help with this.

Have you seen your doctor or dentist in the past month for a diagnosis?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

And what was the diagnosis?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No it just happen

There are multiple thing that can cause a painful, red and white tongue.

Among them are allergies to certain chemicals, such as sodium laureth sulfate, found in some toothpastes. Switching to a toothpaste without this ingredient (Tom's of Maine is one brand carried most places) can help.

Leukoplakia is white patches that can't be scraped off that can develop on the tongue and the gums as well. It causes discomfort and can be a precursor to oral cancer.

Geographic tongue is a generally harmless problem that causes red areas on different parts of the tongue at different times.

Oral candidiasis (thrush) is another possible diagnosis. It's very common in children and in those with diabetes and other immune compromised problems.

Oral lichen planus is yet another possibility. This one generally gets better on its own.

You will need to see your dentist or physician for an examination and a prior diagnosis. In the meanwhile, skip the peroxide, change toothpastes, avoid hot, spicy, sour foods (anything that irritates your tongue), smoking, etc. Any problem with the tongue that lasts more than two weeks needs to be evaluated by a medical professional.

Please let me know if you need additional information about this. I'm online to help you.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing I am great for my dental

A dentist doesn't just evaluate your teeth, but your tongue as well. If this has been going on for a month and you haven't showed your tongue to a dentist or your physician in the past month, you need an examination. There is no way to tell what is causing it without seeing it, and perhaps doing a tongue scraping.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~