A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Trying to make sense of an MRI. "A linear hypertense signal

Customer Question

Trying to make sense of an MRI. "A linear hypertense signal in body and posterior horn of medial meniscus, reaching articular surface, suggestive of grade III tear". Traumatic or degenerative in a 24 year old female. Leg just gave way, No lifting, no direct trauma...
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Symptoms are much better
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to the site and thanks for your question. My name is***** and I'll be able to answer questions about this.

"A linear hypertense signal in body and posterior horn of medial meniscus, reaching articular surface, suggestive of grade III tear". Traumatic or degenerative in a 24 year old female. Leg just gave way, No lifting, no direct trauma...

What question did you have about this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ian actually a physician performing an extent of injury determination. This is a 24 yo female with no trauma. Also hasmild synovial effusion and bone contusion at medial patella. Possible fragment. Lateral displacement of patella. Grade 1 mcl tear. And grade 2 intraday stance lateral meniscus tear. When knee gave way she did fall. Thoughts?

My immediate thought is tincture of time if this is a recent occurrence. Bone contusion and synovial effusion makes it seem more likely to be recent.

If it's been a month or more and rest and perhaps drainage with concurrent cortisone injection has not helped, then arthoscopy to repair the damages may be considered.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Understand all that. I am just trying to meme sense out of the findings and mechanism of injury. Not trying to treat, just provide a causation analysis.

Some people never remember the injury that caused the tear. Just planting your foot wrong can cause it, tripping over the dog, etc. They may think it's little to nothing at the time and dismiss it. If she doesn't remember falling or hitting something, then there is little we can do to determine the exact cause of injury. Certainly it isn't likely to be degererative at all in someone her age unless perhaps she is a top athlete. However, with bone contusion, she must have injured it in some way. Like you, I don't have a crystal ball to determine exactly how that was done. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we always could?

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
true. That was my thought. Just reaching for pearls of wisdom. Hate these kind of cases.

I know what you mean! Sometimes there are no answers, especially when the patient isn't a good historian :-)

I tend to try to put it into perspective as one of those "...up to your a..s in alligators" kind of things and just work on fixing it.