TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.

When swallowing pills, they occasionally get stuck in my

Customer Question

When swallowing pills, they occasionally get stuck in my zenkers diverticulum. This can become quite uncomfortable because of the bitterness of some of my prescriptions. It can be hazardous when swallowing my alendronate for osteopenia. How can I best swallow my pills to minimize the problem without crushing the pills (which I can't do with certain meds)
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No allergies. I take sotalol, alendronate, avasastatin, aspirin, digoxin, furosemide, and inhalers for copd.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I do take aleve for neck pain and occasionally antihistamines like allegra. I have had an illleostomy 6 years ago so I supplement with magnesium oxide tabs and vitamin d
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 1 month ago.

There are no magic solutions.

Best advise is to crush those you can

Those you cannot I would advise taking with something like apple sauce of yogurt to help it go down, then lots of water. I particular do not lay back for at least an hour afterwards. You can probably figure out the best position to help it go down and stick with it.

Obviously surgical management of the Zenker's would solve this, but I assume you do not want surgery at this time.

Good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

If I answered your query please rate my response