Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have swelling in both hands that has been the case for

Customer Question

Hello. I have swelling in both hands that has been the case for about 6 months. I have not been able to wear my rings etc.. Recently, (for last 4 weeks), I have had a problem with my left thumb. It gets "stuck" when I bend it and I have to apply pressure to pop it back out. I have kept it taped so that it doesn't bend but it is not getting better.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: I would appreciate any help you can give. Thank you!!
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No I am 54 years old and in pretty good health. I will say my knees early in the day are a little tight but after being up and about don't bother me the rest of the day.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 4 months ago.

Hello, welcome to the site!

What you have is called trigger finger or trigger thumb, it is from inflammation of the tendon sheath and that causes a small nodule on the sheath which sometimes cacthes on the nodule

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am wondering if there is anything generally that should be added or subtracted in a diet.
Do you know what causes the swelling and the trigger finger? What would you recommend to treat the trigger finger?
I also have a lump that formed around my right pinky finger that looks like arthritus (I guess) that has been there for about 4 months. I may need to go to a specialist.

This is not something that is affected by diet. it is caused by overuse and wear and tear. It may be treated with drugs like Motrin , and if that doesn't help then in an injection into your tendon sheath, and the last option is surgery to release the pulley it catches on

If you still have question please let me know and I'll be happy to answer. If you have no other questions you may click accept to end the session