Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I am on Effexor, & it causes me to be constipated. I am

Customer Question

I am on Effexor, & it causes me to be constipated. I am wondering if it is okay to take Mirilax daily in the morning, eat 2 Metamucil wafers wafers as a snack sometime during the day, & then take a Colace at bedtime? This seems to help greatly, but I don't know if those medications conflicted with each other.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I am allergic to bee stings with a localized reaction. I do not do well with steroids, benedryl, & sinus medications. I am on a boat load of meds as I have many issues… Canasa Suppostories, Balsalazide, Gabapentin, Tamoxafen, Alprazolam, Simvistatin, Acyclovir, Meloxicam, Tramadol (as needed), Metformin/placebo for a clinical trial
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am a 5 year breast cancer survivor, I have ulcerative colitis proctitis, I have anxiety, Charcot-Marie Tooth which has been put into progression by my chemo
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 9 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh- and I’m happy to help with your question today.

I have reviewed all your medications.

Yes, you can safely take Mirilax daily in the morning, and then eat 2 Metamucil wafers wafers as a snack during the day, and then take a Colace at bedtime.

It would not have any negative interaction with your medications.

No need to get panic or take stress. You would not develop any interaction between your old medications and these medications for constipation.

It would not have any negative interaction and you can safely take drugs for constipation.

Miralax would increase the amount of water in the intestinal tract to stimulate bowel movements.

Colace contains Docusate sodium and would make stool softer and easier to pass.

In the day time, you can take Metamucil wafers.

Fiber is one of the mainstays in the treatment of constipation.

High-fiber foods include beans, whole grains and bran cereals, fresh fruits, and vegetables such as asparagus, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and carrots would be helpful.

You need to increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables as they contain lots of fiber.

Hope this helped.

If there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 9 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going.

Do you need further assistance?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

If you are done,then please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh