Anemia can cause swelling in the ankles and lower legs.
Swelling of feet and ankle on both the sides can be associated because of the following reasons;
1) Venous valvular incompetence
2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow
3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.
4) Congestive heart failure
5) Kidney diseases
6) Protein deficiency
Following measures are beneficial in decreasing or resolving the swelling:
1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.
2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.
3) Exercises / physical therapy
a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).
b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.
4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.
Correction of the anemia by an high protein and iron diet and supplements also would be recommended.
It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.