A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My stomach bothers me whenever i eat. a couple years ago i

Customer Question

my stomach bothers me whenever i eat. a couple years ago i saw a gastroenterologist and because all my tests were negative - i was even scoped - he decided that it must be IBS. the meds did not work. i tried to figure out my triggers, but something that bothers me today doesn't bother me tomorrow and so on. now i have bald spots starting on my scalp. they are just small but you can see where the folicle has nothing growing out of it. i just noticed this the past week. saturday night my stomach was upset from my throat to my butt and girgled all night. i felt like i was going to throw up at any minute and i also felt like i was going to pass out. what could be wrong with me?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sometimes even water bothers my stomach. hurts right under my ribcage
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to our site. My name is***** and I will try to help you with this.

What IBS medication were you prescribed that didn't work?

Did you take it for a long time?

Thanks,

I;m still waiting for a reply to my request for additional information so I can help with your question.

NP Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i don't remember what i was taking but i took it for several weeks and it did nothing to help

Since it's been two years, I would suggest you see the gastroenterologist again for testing to see if it is gastric refulx, an ulcer, hiatal hernia, etc., all of which can cause the symptoms you're experiencing. It probably isn't IBS. Symptoms of IBS are in the lower digestive tract, not usually the stomach, under the rib cage. That is more likely to be hernia, reflux, or even a gallbladder problem.

I'd also eliminate the gingerale, unless you are making sure it has lost all of its carbonation prior to use. Carbonated beverages of all kinds are known to irritate a sensitive stomach.

I wish it were possible to diagnose what it is online, but of course it isn't. You will need testing for H. pylori (in case it's an ulcer), new blood work, and possibly another upper GI scope.

Please let me know if you need additional information about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
nothing has changed since i saw the gastro before. i've just been putting up with it.

Do you mean that all your symptoms were in your stomach, under your rib cage and they diagnosed IBS?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
all the same symptoms i still have now
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he said your intestines run under your ribcage, that;s why he diagnosed the IBS

Good gracious! Then this time I recommend you see a different gastroenterologist.

See the diagram below of the diaphragm (which separates the stomach from the lungs), and the stomach, and intestines. You will note that the intestines are under the stomach, not under the ribs.

I also suggest you read this article about IBS.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome/basics/symptoms/CON-20024578

I definitely think you need a second opinion.