Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I need some help. 4.5 days back I bumped my head on the car

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I need some help. 4.5 days back I bumped my head on the car door frame. I did not passs out or feel anything weird, and I continued to do what I was doing. However few minutes later I was feeling a little bit light headed and just a little bit confused. However I managed to drive home and put some ice on my head after returning home. A little bump could be noticed several hours later.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?
Customer: Its been 4.5 days. BTW I am 31 years old and am taking Clopidogrel 75 daily.. On the same day I bumped by head, I stopped taking Clopidogrel and has now been off it for the last 4.5 days. They also did a CT scan of my brain 36 hours after the incident, and said I was all clear : no bleeding or ICH. The problem is I am getting intermittent headaches that come and go away, nothing severe... I am wondering whether its due to my anxiety as I am usually a very anxious person
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No nothing specific, except for that fact that I took Clopidogrel upto that day of the incident. I have been off it for the last 5 days
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 3 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern regarding head injury:

Do you have any episode of vomiting?

Do you have vertigo?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
NO, I do not / did not have any vomiting but do feel nauseous sometime, but ok most of the time. I do have vertigo, a very mild one for which I took treatment for some time. Anyway the dizziness that I am feeling now is a little bit different to the vertigo that I am used to.
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

These symptoms are not serious & not to worry.

The symptoms you have described of having intermittent headaches that come and go away after you bumped your head on the car door frame 4.5 days ago is most likely because of anxiety.Your CT scan done 36 hours after the incident was all clear.

Sometimes, the actual impact of the head injury affects the part of the brain regulating inner ear activity, causing the brain to have difficulty interpreting the incoming information. If the information is processed incorrectly, dizziness can result.Also there can be problem in vestibule of inner ear causing dizziness.

In most people, post-concussion syndrome symptoms occur within the first seven to 10 days and go away within three months.The headaches may come and go but usually resolve within 4 weeks after the injury. The treatment of post-traumatic headache, as well as other features of the post-traumatic syndrome is symptomatic. Relaxation techniques may be helpful.

Its good that you have stopped the clopidogrel.

So bot***** *****ne is that there does not seem to be anything serious or to worry.You need to wait & watch your symptoms for next few weeks.All your symptoms will resolve by this time.Till then to get relief from headaches & other symptoms,take tab. Acetaminophen 500 mg from the counter. It is safe & available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Hope this helped.

If there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for the info. I just read through most of the stories on the internet of people bumping their head while on antiplatelet therapy ending up with bad circumstances later on. So first of all, as for how the impact happened, I was leaning down to find a document underneath the seat and then suddenly decided to stand up and ended hitting my head on the door frame. The door frame is insulated with a rubber beading but its hard and hardly cushy. So I guess I could have risen 1.5 feet before impact on the frame, although stood up farly quickly.My other concern is the clopidogrel. First of all it was given as a preventive medication for my heart and not due to that fact I suffered a Heart attack or a stroke. So considering the fact that I stopped taking the Clopidogrel on the night of the incident itself and had been off it for the last 4.5 days, I just want to know the likelihood of delayed bleeding considering the CT was clear after 36 hours. I feel fine mostly and am at work working as well. My job requires me to focus and concentrate on work extensively .(I am a Programmer). Yesterday there was pain behind the eyes and was difficult to see light but this was there before the CT scan. Please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

The previous expert has opted out and thus I am answering you.

The bleeding after 36 hours (delayed hemorrhage) after injury is exceeding rare and thus is unlikely to be responsible for your present symptoms. You may even consider restarting clopidogrel. Your symptoms are due to concussion and perhaps due to anxiety too. These are likely to go away in a week or so.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Hope you are doing very good. Let me know if I can anything further for you.