Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

Diverticulosis - taking Metronidazole 500 mg and Cipro 500

Customer Question

Diverticulosis - taking Metronidazole 500 mg and Cipro 500 mg. 4th time I have had it (in about 8 years) and it is in the right and left quadrant. Have always had CT scans, blood work before to diagnose. I have self diagnosed - rather than have blood work and another CT scan and another trip to the ER. Took just Metronidazole for 5 days and it got better, off for 1 1/2 days and it is coming back. Have these drugs in stock - not expired. It's been a while since I've had it so I have some questions. Metronidazole makes me feel terrible - taste, dizziness, like a bad case of the flu.
Questions:
Is there a viable alternative to Metronidazole?
Is simply Cipro enough?
If not - Is it okay to take both drugs at the same time?
Should I be on a liquid diet for several days?
Should I avoid dairy?
Are fruit smoothies okay?
Also take Triam/HCTZ 1 X day, Propafenone 112 mg 2 X day, systolic 5 mg 1 X day and Lorizapam 1 mg (1 nighttime). Have Afib and PVCs.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 6 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern regarding your diverticulosis:

Are you having fever?

Any episode of vomiting now?

Diarrhea or constipation?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Even at my worst (first time - 5 days before I went to the DR thinking it was a virus) I had little fever. No fever now. No vomiting - have never had with this. Started with constipation, then some diarrhea (only after Metronidazole), but infrequent. Mostly loose bowels.
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

Please wait for the detailed answer.It may take upto 2-4 minutes.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for waiting online.

Diverticulitis is a complication of diverticulosis. Diverticulosis simply refers to the presence of these hollow pouches on the colon. But, diverticulitis is the term when these pouches become infected or inflamed.Antibiotics are prescribed when it is infected (called diverticulitis).

Here are your answers:

1. Metronidazole (Flagyl) Metronidazole is an antibiotic that is specifically effective against anaerobic bacteria and certain parasites.Metronidazole is the drug of choice to treat diverticulitis.I am sorry,but there is no viable and better alternative to Metronidazole.

2. Ciprofloxacin an antibiotic that belong to a group of drugs called fluoroquinolones. It is not specifically to kill the bacteria of anaerobic bacteria.So cipro alone will not be effective.You need to take both the antibiotics to treat the infection completely.

3. Yes,you can take both ciprofloxacin & metronidazole at the same time.There is no drug interaction between these two drugs. They can be safely taken together.

4. A liquid diet is recommended for you as part of your treatment, which can include:

• Water
  • Fruit juices
  • Broth
  • gelatin
  • tea or coffee without any creams, flavors, or sweeteners
  • Ice pops

5. Most dairy products are easily digested and tolerated well. But it is a good idea to monitor how you do on them

6. Ice cream, milkshakes, fruit smoothies, pudding, custard can be taken once your attack is over.So it is better to avoid them now.

So bot***** *****ne is that treatment for diverticulitis includes taking both the antibiotics and giving your colon a rest with a liquid diet as described above.

Hope this helped.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

If there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

I hope my answers helped.If you still have any questions,I am happy to answer you further.

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going.Are you taking metronidazole & ciprofloxacin? Are your symptoms controlled?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to hep you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh