Thank you for waiting online.
Diverticulitis is a complication of diverticulosis. Diverticulosis simply refers to the presence of these hollow pouches on the colon. But, diverticulitis is the term when these pouches become infected or inflamed.Antibiotics are prescribed when it is infected (called diverticulitis).
Here are your answers:
1. Metronidazole (Flagyl) Metronidazole is an antibiotic that is specifically effective against anaerobic bacteria and certain parasites.Metronidazole is the drug of choice to treat diverticulitis.I am sorry,but there is no viable and better alternative to Metronidazole.
2. Ciprofloxacin an antibiotic that belong to a group of drugs called fluoroquinolones. It is not specifically to kill the bacteria of anaerobic bacteria.So cipro alone will not be effective.You need to take both the antibiotics to treat the infection completely.
3. Yes,you can take both ciprofloxacin & metronidazole at the same time.There is no drug interaction between these two drugs. They can be safely taken together.
4. A liquid diet is recommended for you as part of your treatment, which can include:
- Fruit juices
- tea or coffee without any creams, flavors, or sweeteners
- Ice pops
5. Most dairy products are easily digested and tolerated well. But it is a good idea to monitor how you do on them
6. Ice cream, milkshakes, fruit smoothies, pudding, custard can be taken once your attack is over.So it is better to avoid them now.
So bot***** *****ne is that treatment for diverticulitis includes taking both the antibiotics and giving your colon a rest with a liquid diet as described above.
Hope this helped.
Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.
If there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me