Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I have an immediate reaction to sugar - especially honey,

Customer Question

I have an immediate reaction to sugar - especially honey, sultanas, bee pollen, agave and suchlike, as well as jams and cakes obviously. I try to avoid these. There are two reactions, not at the same time, which may be linked to wheat also, to which I am allergic or have intolerance of. One reaction is to fall asleep quite quickly. The other is cramp in the hands. Occasionally I get leg cramps. I do eat s banana a day and some fresh fruit. I take magnesium and calcium daily but also sea salt if I get cramp while driving for instance, which alleviates the problem. I am aware that sugar is the 'enemy' !
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: For cramps, sea salt is a quick remedy ( about 5 minutes). Eating anything sugary usually perpetuates the cramps to hands especially.
Recently while abroad in high temperatures (35°+) swelling of legs below the knee was pronounced.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Well yes. Varicose ulcers on ankles but under control. Occasionally painful though sometimes healed. Pacemaker. Heart medication low dose ACE inhibitor, beta blocker. Normal blood pressure, measured daily. Am 80, active, balanced diet, no breathlessness. Recent hearing reduction in one ear (being assessed).
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Were some investigations like blood sugar, glycosylated hemoglobin, hormonal assessment done for your symptoms due to sugar consumption?