Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

Do I need immediate help if my BP keeps fluctuating?

Customer Question

My blood pressure is fluctuating crazily. I woke with a reading of 142/104, then went down to 128/92, then back up 153/109, jumping around like this all day. Heart on occasion feels like its going to beat out of my chest. Heart rate ranging from a low of 75 up to 108. My family has a history of heart disease. My health is OK but I have a lot of anxiety lately. I also have depression, uncontrollable crying and I am taking estrogen progesterone and paxil. Do I need immediate help?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 2 months ago.
What is your age & gender?
Are you diagnosed with any medical condition?
Do you have any pain in chest?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am a female 53 years old I have had ulcerative colitis for 29 years but in remission for the past 4. I am starting menopause if that makes any difference
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 2 months ago.
this needs to be evaluated at Emergency room(ER). The range of systolic blood pressure for most healthy adults falls between 90 and 120 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg). Your systolic blood pressure of 142,153 is higher then normal.Normal diastolic blood pressure ranges between 60 and 80 mm Hg. Your diastolic blood pressure of 104,92,109 is again higher then normal.
Normal pulse rate for a healthy adult, while resting, can range from 60 to 100 beats per minute. A heart rate over 100 beats a minute is called tachycardia. An elevation of the systolic and/or diastolic blood pressure increases the risk of developing heart (cardiac) disease, kidney (renal) disease, hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis or arteriosclerosis), eye damage, and stroke (brain damage). This is not related to your menopause in any way.
The goal of treatment is to reduce blood pressure so that you can have a lower risk of complications.You may need following tests:
Stress EKG
Blood tests
Holter monitoring
Holter monitoring is required. It is a machine that continuously records the heart's rhythms. The monitor is usually worn for 24 - 48 hours during normal activity.Your doctor uses information captured on the Holter monitor's recording device to figure out if you have a heart rhythm problem.
So bottom line is yes, you need to go to ER to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 2 months ago.
For better understanding,please see this picture:
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
your opinion is I need to go to ER now?
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 2 months ago.
you are having fluctuating blood pressure & fluctuating heart rate.
You need to go to ER now without any delay. You need to see your doctor at ER who will check your blood pressure & if it is elevated, then he will prescribe you anti hypertensive medication accordingly.