Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My bnp is over 1000 (1030) rising about 100pts every couple

Customer Question

My bnp is over 1000 (1030) rising about 100pts every couple of months. I have ESRD and have been on PD dialysis for 3 years now on Hemo dialysis for almost a year.I have had history of diabetes and hypertension. I have lost alot of weight...My diabetes has been under control for months no more insulin...All my labs look good from my Dr's stand point at Davita...I do have a history of Arial fib/flutter with cardiversion...controlled by meds..On 26 different medications. Recent scan shows systolic dysfunction left heart enlargement and ventricular hypertrophy. I can not find any information on where these leaves me when it comes to prognostic indicators and mortality...Is this because no one wants to talk about it....or Because no one knows? Looking for hope but want reality in stats.Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Rising BNP can be due to (in your case);

1) Medications.

2) Heart muscle dysfunction.

3) Congestive heart failure.

4) Kidney failure.

5) High blood pressure

6) Aging.

It alone does not have a prognostic value. So no inference should be drawn by its rising value as it is dependent on too many variables.

Also a single investigations in a complicated disease issue and lingering chronic medical problem is never a concluding parameter. Overall how you are doing or how the other investigative parameters are going on, would decide the long term prognosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

This still did not answer my question...Every bit of info you gave me I already know...I want an honest answer about my mortality using bnp with bouts headaches, Nausea and sweating an with the heart issues and ESRD. Or do you not know because nothing is written?? I'm sorry if I seem rude but I want to know...I guess if you were facing this so would you...I don't think you can give me a prognosis. I PROBABLY SHOULD NOT HAVE ASKED...

Unfortunately, just on the basis of BNP or ESRD; a life span cannot be predicted in an individual scenario. This is the limitation of the medical science. Sir, You are worried of rising BNP. Does this tell about a bad prognosis? My answer is no. The rising BNP alone cannot be predictive of it.