Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I have the 4th and 5th vertebrae that have been injured

Customer Question

I have the 4th and 5th vertebrae that have been injured twice. The first time I had another incident co-inside with my pre-op for the plasty. When I had an endoscopy they found a large hiatic hernia that had bled, but I was told they would not do any thing until it became larger. The problem now is my vertebrae and I need to have some advice on what to do. My family is not comfortable. with medical treatment in West Virginia. Especially our son who lives in Kasson MN and is production manager at McNeilus. I would appreciate any questions or suggestions you may have.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.
Since when are you having these symptoms?

What are your symptoms now?
Did you have any test?
Did you consult doctor or take any measure?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I fall due to syncope which developed several years ago.10 or so .It was diagnosed last week. That is the cause of my injuries. which include in the past a minor cerebral bleed a fractured left wrist (simple), two sessions of stitches;6&8, and this last incident where I fell on my buttocks. After a couple of weeks, I noted the pain was not getting any better. Dr. had an x-ray done and saw damage to the third vertebrae and time would heal it and he also thought the pain on my right hip was what was causing the pain but suggested I let him know if it did not get better. Yesterday a cat scan was done and the additional damage to 4&5 was notice. Now, with an aortic valve replacement 3 years ago with a pacemaker a week later and the scynope Is it wise to avoid surgery and try to live with the pain
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pain is about a 6-7 with Norco every 6 hours.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 months ago.

Did you consult orthopedic doctor?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for all the information,
Treat of injured vertebra would depend on the severity.
In mild cases without impingement on nerve or problem with bladder or bowel movement, conservative approach can be taken.
Rest, pain medicines, physiotherapy can help.
If those do not help, doctor can decide about surgery.
As the pain is severe, you can take an evaluation by a spine specialist or orthopedic surgeon.
Cardiologist would be needed to monitor if surgery is required.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a disc which bulging and evidence of spinal chord involvement.I just found out that I have a disc which is partially ruptured with spinal cord involvement.
medicines such as Narco take the edge off if any effect. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 months ago.

Pain medicine, physiotherapy & conservative measures often help in 80% of cases.

Epidural steroid injection can be used too.

If all those measures do not help, doctor can go for minimally invasive surgery.