Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

My husband has been having trouble having bowel movements

Customer Question

My husband has been having trouble having bowel movements for a long time, recently he has been throwing up stomach cramps, and chest pains. Today he came home from work so sick. He said he (once again) has been straining to have bowel movements. We have used enemas and laxatives but they aren't helping. He today showed me his but hole and he has skin hanging out of it, probably from pushing so hard. He said that it is really really sore and he thinks that is the root of his problem? If so, what do we do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 3 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

It is quite likely that his constipation has contributed to either hemorroids or an anal fissure.

If this is not addressed soon, he may start having blood in his stool due to the strain.

I would increase water and fiber intake with an over the counter fiber supplement in addition to stool softeners and laxatives.

He will also likely need to be seen by a gastroenterological specialist for an anoscopy and possibly colonoscopy.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Checking in. Is there anything else I can help you with today?