DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

My spouse was in a very bad motorcycle accident and the

Customer Question

Good Morning. My spouse was in a very bad motorcycle accident and the doctor has syated he has zero chance for recovery. I an looking for someone to review the MRI report to verify this opinion. We have two young children and I don't want then to lose their father. Please let me know if you can help or know anyone that can. Thank you
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 8 months ago.

Hi.

I am very sorry to hear this.

Please type in the full report here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In trying to upload it to you. Having difficulties. Please be patient. Thank you
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 8 months ago.

no problem

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thank you for your patience
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please let me know you medical opinion and in lay mans terms what damage the injury has caused. Thank you so much.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 8 months ago.

OK.

The way I read this there is extensive damage.

It includes some areas of vital brain structure such as pons and midbrain...the parts of the brain that run the body automatically.

Is he on ventilation?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He was.....the doctor recommended taking him off He is breathing on his own but still not concious
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 8 months ago.

OK

While this looks very bad, they are not sure of the cause.

They think is is old bleeding damage.

That is not certain from the scan.

If he has not had a neurological consult, that is way over due.

And, I would have a second neurologist come see him and review the case as well.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is his second time in coma. Is what the doctor stated true about zero recovery. I just want to do what's right for him and our kids. The accident was july 14. How do I get neurologist to review. I didn't trust the hospital he is in. Please advise. Thank you
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 8 months ago.

You simply say you want a neurological consultation.

You can also simply google "neurologists in your city/state" and ask personally to have an inpatient consult.

You can not say zero recovery based only on the scan.

It has to be clinically confirmed as well.

I would insist they get an EEG. This will show brain activity.

Currently, if they are saying all of this just based on scan, I would not believe them either.

good luck.

Find me by request here for future questions...actually, in medical.

That will save time as I am fast and here daily, 9am to 9pm est.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/