Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

Sharp pains on the left side of breast. What could it be?

Customer Question

I am having sharp pains on the left side around my breast. I have had the pain since Wednesday/Thursday. Its worse in the morning. I feel pain when I breathe. I had a colonoscopy on Tuesday with anesthesia. Not sure if it could be related or if it is a muscle pull. Could it be a muscle under the breast that could be irritated?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 2 months ago.
It sounds to be muscular pain. This condition is called as Costochondritis. It is an inflammation of the cartilage joining ribs to chest bone. It is this inflammation that causes the sharp chest pains inside the chest wall. Other reason can be pull in the muscles or ligaments of ribs.
Pain in left side of chest which becomes severe with breathing is supposed to be originating from the rib cage, which is the only pain sensitive part that moves during the act of breathing. It is not related with heart disease and not related with colonoscopy.
You can take OTC Tylenol and take adequate rest. You can also take Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like- Motrin. Most likely in few days, it would resolve by its own.