Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Thanks I have blood in the urine with +++200 on the test

Customer Question

Thanks I have blood in the urine with +++200 on the test stick. I have just had CT scan which shows a UPJ blockage and damage to the right kidney. I also have some discomfort in the left kidney. I assume the blood is from kidneys and a sign of disease. But is the right kidney also likely to be affected. It looked ok on the CT scan three weeks ago. Age 59
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: This was just a straightforward urine test. The CT scans were done a few weeks ago
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not especially. I am on warfarin for past DVT in left leg
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 4 months ago.

HI

Can you specify your gender?

What medical illnesses you have ?

Do you have a copy of the ct scan done - how many CT scans have been done?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

HI

Can you mention your gender?

Medical illnesses you have ?

How many CT scans were done ?

Do you have a copy of the CT report?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am a male with moderate hydrophrenosis. Otherwise I dont have any medical illnesses although had a past DVT in left leg. I have had a CT urogram and MAG 3 renogram forcussed on right kidney and am waiting for a right retrograde. I dont have a copy of any of these reports but the consultant in UK has given a prelim diagnosis of a right PUJ stricture. I am concerned I need to get on and have a pyeloplasty surgery as soon as possible. It seems to take forever to get the tests done in UK.

HI

In the primary question you have asked " But is the right kidney also likely to be affected. It looked ok on the CT scan three weeks ago. "

The diagnosis is quite clear that you have right sided PUJ obstruction and hydronephrosis due to it.

Can you clarify your question.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. I have two questions :(i) does the blood in the urine indicate the need for more urgent action to address the stricture ?(ii) if surgery does not take place on the right kidney until October will that delay cause further deterioration ? ie do I need to take action sooner ?

This condition is usually congenital - means you were born with it. You have been having this for past 59 yrs ; so waiting for another 2 months is not going to make a lot of difference to the final outcome.

There is a high possibility that the warf is causing the blood in urine. People taking anti platelets and / or Warf can have RBCs in the urine frequently.

There is no urgency unless you have severe pain or fever or renal failure.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Dr.Tharun