Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

A nurse called and told me to make appointment with my Dr to

Customer Question

A nurse called and told me to make appointment with my Dr to talk over blood test results, the only thing that came back wrong was an elevated IgA. It was 455. Is it that high? should I be worried? I can't get into see her for a bit, and I need to know how bad this might be/ why she would need to see me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 months ago.

The IgA is a subtype of antibody ....

Normal range for this subtype is 80 to 350 so your level was elevated ...

IgA is mainly a defense antibody of surfaces of the respiratory system and GI tract....

So the most common reason for it to be elevated would be that you may be fighting some infection ...

It could be a respiratory infection or a case of diarrhea as common examples ...

Your doctor may wish to consider further follow up and it depends if there is an obvious explanation ...

You might be suggested to undergo added testing such as SPEP / UPEP >>> these are protein electrophoresis tests that analyze the immune protein pattern in more detail... A spike of exact clones of the same IgA antibody could be a red flag for a more serious type problem..certain precancer processes ( MGUS) and certain cancers ( lymphoma ) could present with a high IgA and then show a singular type rather than a general immune type response ...

So telling the difference of a broad active immune response vs a narrow abnormal spike of the IgA type protein is a concern I think that your doctor may discuss with you ..

Now most of the time your type result is only a immune response and would get back to normal in several weeks time frame.. That is the more likely expectation for you

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I Will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD