Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have severe pain in my left shoulder, along my waist, and

Customer Question

I have severe pain in my left shoulder, along my waist, and around the heart. Couple with this a nice case on constipation. It is at its worst when I go to lay down --laying down starts the pain meter --and can wake me at night with excruciating pain. But during the day, when active, there is nothing to notice. Nada, zip.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Your pain suggests it to be musculoskeletal pain. This can also be associated with pinched nerves in back. This can be due to degenerative disc disease in neck causing pinched nerves. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant

2) physical therapy

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture

Having said that, in your age group, it is essential to get an EKG and echocardiography for any left sided chest to rule out heart ailment categorically.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile: