DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

For years now, I've seen black spots in my stool - someone

Customer Question

For years now, I've seen black spots in my stool - someone suggested it may be blood, but at my last physical, the doctor conducted a test right there in the exam room and said she found no blood. Turns out the black spots actually appear to be chunks of black olives; however, I can't remember the last time I ate olives or anything with olives in it. Could they still be olives if I haven't eaten any in weeks/months? Should I see a doctor about a possible digestive problem? Thank you very much for your help!
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: No - stool sample.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have Common Variable Immune Deficiency and vitamin deficiencies.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 4 months ago.

HI

I am a double board certified clinical doctor and will be happy to help you with this.

It can be any food in fact, that has been distorted by the digestive process.

What I would do is not worry unless you have other symptoms.

You could, for peace of mind, get a comprehensive stool analysis, even though it is probably not needed.

Olives would not show up for weeks or months.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/