Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

My mother s heart rate has been up couple of days.She is not

Customer Question

My mother s heart rate has been up for a couple of days.She is not complaining or behaving any differently. I have SVT she may have it too I don't know.. However she has a Visiting Physician that a associated with a hospice facility. The nurse suggested taking her to the hospital but can't promise that they wiill give her anything to lower it because she's 93.Otherwise she's in good health some arthritis. It's not easy to transport her around and I'm going through chemotherapy. or would it be better to call the EM T. We elevated her feet but it' didn't resolve the issue.Suggestions please.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 4 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Can you tell her present pulse rate that is beats per minute?

Does she have any chest pain?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 4 months ago.

Yes,you need to call an ambulance or take her to ER.

Normal pulse rate for a healthy adult, while resting, can range from 60 to 100 beats per minute.A heart rate over 100 beats a minute is called tachycardia.

Hyperthyroidism is a common cause of an increased heart rate at rest and with mild exertion.Hyperthyroidism(high levels of thyroid hormone) should always be ruled out with blood tests before making the diagnosis of Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia.Thyroid hormone increases the force of contraction of, and the amount of oxygen demanded by, the heart muscle. So it increases the heart rate.

Other causes of high heart rate are:anxiety, or drinking a lot of caffeine-containing beverages,congenital defects, coronary artery disease, chronic disease of the heart valves, or chronic lung disease.

Considering her age of 93 years,high heart rate is of concern & this should be evaluated.She need EKG & other blood tests to rule out any heart disease and/or diagnose any underlying condition & then treatment will be done accordingly.

So bot***** *****ne is that as she had high heart rate/palpitations,she should be taken to ER.

Hope this helped.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

Is there anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 4 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going.

How is your mother's heart rate now?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to hep you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh