A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Racing heart beat, nervous feeling,

Customer Question

racing heart beat, nervous feeling,
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 months ago.

Are you having any pain, or just anxiety?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I feel like my heart races and then I feel nervous and worried and then it goes away.

Thanks. This is probably just what we call a panic attack. We see a lot of those in the ER. Do you have any health issues otherwise?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have asthma. I had this happen a month ago, had tests run ekg think and blood work. Tests cMe back normal. Once in a while a twinge of pain will flutter in my chest but only when I feel anxious. I think I'm causing a lot of this by thinking things are wrong with me.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The more I think about this the more symptoms appear. I'm ok all day and then I go to drive home and then a wave of fear comes over me , racing heart beat , sweating clammy feeling. I'll normally call somebody and just have a normal conversation and it takes my mind off things.

I think you're right. Stress and worry causes heart rate increases. It sounds like you are talking yourself into the symptoms.

Have you thought about seeing a therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy? This helps a person learn to cope with the problem. Understanding what is going on, which you seem to do, is the first step. Learning to cope is the next.

Calling someone to talk, deep breathing, playing your favorite music, exercise, going to a movie, a hot bath, are all helpful. Whatever works for you is best. You can also help by avoiding caffeine such as coffee and colas.

Another possibility might be your asthma medication. Some of those can increase heart rate. If you've been using the same asthma drugs for a long time, this is less likely.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I should stop worrying, that I'm doomed. Looking on the Internet and seeing what it could possible be only freaks me out even more.

Yes, you can completely stop worrying abut being doomed :-)

You also probably need to stop googling symptoms. That just makes people crazy!

You've had the tests. There's nothing wrong with your heart. So it's not a problem.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. The was my biggest fear. I'd assume if it was one it wouldn't last on and off. The test my doctor ran showed my heart beat to be ok. ( it printed out with a wavy line) lol sorry I don't know medical terms.

No problem. It's supposed to print out with a wavy line. It's called an electrocardiogram (abbreviated ecg or ekg depending on which way one was taught in medical school. Both are right), and it shows what your heart is doing with every beat, and between beats.

Just keep telling yourself your heart is fine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. I just need to get this feeling out if my mind.

That's right. It's just a bad thought. It can't hurt you.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~