Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I have sharp pain in my left hand thumb joint. I had a

Customer Question

i have sharp pain in my left hand thumb joint. I had a ganglion cyst removed 4 years ago, at that site. i also have, i think a nerve related issue, in both my hands.. my hands go numb at night and its either my pinkie and ring finger go numb or.. the other 3 fingers, it usually is not the whole hand.. when i change position it goes away.. this has been going on for like 5 years.. i think it s has something to do with a pain in my neck.. but anyhow .. my left hand is getting to the point that is losing all strength and its curling up.. im 52 , female, so do i go back to the hand orthopedic surgeon or someone else??
JA: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: the spot in my neck tingles when i push on it, i have gone to spine dr, a thoracic outlet syndrome dr.. and a chiro.. The chiro offered relief.. i htink its a pinched nerve in that area of the tos.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I also went to a Nuerologist who tested me for sjogrens , and that was a no, and i dont believe its RA.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 months ago.

Have you had nerve conduction studies on your affected hands ??

The thumb to half ring finger distribution could be due to carpal tunnel syndrome as most common culprit for this part of the hand going numb and you having weakness of hand

The little finger and lateral half of ring finger going numb is different nerve distribution..

That could be an ulnar nerve entrapment

Yes thoracic outlet syndrome could lead to many of these symptoms and also possible that cervical disk disease and nerve root compressions in the neck could explain symptoms ...

These are a group of possible diagnoses that may relate

An orthopedic specialist should be helpful or neurologist for help to diagnose your source

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD