DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

It's kind of difficult to see, but this morning I woke up

Customer Question

It's kind of difficult to see, but this morning I woke up with a lump on the side of my neck about the width of the ends of my two index fingers. There isn't no discoloration for me to think it's bruised, but when I look at one side of my neck to the other it's obvious to see the lump, especially if I bend my neck. It does hurt, slightly touching it is painful. I'm curious as to what it may be or if I should be really concerned? Also, I've read something about it possibly being associated with Tonsils, when I was very young I had my tonsils removed.
Category: Health
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 7 months ago.

Hello

This is Dr. Bonilla.

I understand your concerns. The lump you described is likely to be a inflamed lymph node. It is common to see lymph nodes after a viral of bacterial infection. They usually disappear after a couple of weeks. If the lymph node increases in size or does not improve after 2-3 weeks you should see your PCP for further assessment.

Please rate my answer. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 months ago.

Hello

This can be a sebaceous cyst.

These can come and go and it should be diagnosed now.

A node that hurts and causes inflammation, without an obvious source of infection should be examined.

It might be gone in 2 to 3 weeks.

Have it examined now, not later.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find me as needed for correct and safe answers.

Please click a positive rating.