Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.

What the meaning of flow void is seen in the superior

Customer Question

What the meaning of flow void is seen in the superior Sagittal sinus and major intracranial arteries centrally, indicating gross patency. My other question is minimal mucosal thickening in the the ethmoid air cells is a doubtful clinical significance
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David

an MRI scan uses a strong magnetic field to align up atoms and then hits them with a radiofrequency pulse and the atoms get knocked off their axis and then come back to magnetic north. when they do this, they give off signals for the MRI machine to pick up on to make the image of your brain.

blood in blood vessels flow during this process

so by the time the radiofrequency pulse his the area, the atoms in the blood which were aligned up to magnetic north have already flowed out of the MRI image field. that is why there is a flow void seen in vein blood vessels on MRI scans of the brain. a flow void is really a normal finding on an MRI scan.

let me know if you have other questions.