Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM

I am having trouble with my ear. It flutters all the time.

Customer Question

I am having trouble with my ear. It flutters all the time. Sometimes only if I turn my head to one side.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?
Customer: Sometimes I deal with sinus issues, but nothing relieves this.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: a few months ago I was in a car accident. I injured my neck and both shoulders
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It’s my first priority and pleasure to help you.

What is your age?

Stuffy nose,clogged ears?

Ringing in ears?

Are you taking any medicines?

Any other medical illness?

Any investigations done?

Neck stiffness?

Hearing loss?

Waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am 51. Nose stuffy off and on. I take a lot of meds. tizanidine, cymbalta, atovorstatin, esmeprazole, losartin, aspirin, gabapentin, metformin, I have fibromyalgia, and connective tissue (UCTD). discussed briefly with my rheumatologist. Said i should speak with a neurologist. No hearing loss. It started a couple of months ago, off and on. Now it does come in pain during the day in my left ear. no ear ringing only the fluttering and feels like I can hear my pulse in my ear.

I understand your concern.

Sorry for late reply.

As per your description,possible differential diagnosis of such fluttering sound in ear may include fluid accumulating in the middle ear, such as from an ear infection or inflammation or Eustachian tube dysfunction from sinusitis.

It can be due to spasm of a muscle in the inner ear.

This fluttering sound can also be a form of tinnitus caused by damage to the microscopic endings of the hearing nerve in the inner ear due to advanced age.

You need certain specific tests like an Audiogram,ABR or auditory brain response, acoustic reflex test or tympanogram and a clinical exam by an ENT specialist.

You should take OTC Otrivin nasal drops and nasal saline spray.

Also take OTC Advil for ear ache.

It also may help to try Eustachian tube exercises, such as forced yawning or chewing gum.

Feel free for further queries. It's good to discuss rather than quit.
Your satisfaction is our goal.
Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.

May I help you more?
Feel free for further queries
Waiting for your reply.